naye: "There's no LGB without the T" embroidered over a pride flag colored hand grasping a trans flag colored one. (no lgb without the t)
naye ([personal profile] naye) wrote2026-10-26 03:29 pm
Entry tags:

October embroideries

Last year I brought a big hoodie to the hospital, and spent some of the eternal waiting and painful healing keeping my hands busy embroidering. It was really nice to have something to focus on - something to do. But I also accidentally started associating embroidering (or preparing something to embroider) with bad things happening. (Thanks, brain.) I realized this, and still it was a real effort to overcome that and pick two embroideries I'd left abandoned for the better part of the year.

But I did, and I was really pleased with the results!



Monochrome embroidery in an oval frame. The pattern is a pastiche of a typical Korean Tiger and Magpie motif, only the fierce tiger looks like a cranky tabby cat sticking its tongue out. It's arching its back under a pine with two funny looking birds in the branches. Most of the stitches are rather uneven, some in black floss (1-6 strands depending on the lines). The tiger's stripes are in dark gray. It's got a ponderous aura l, depicted as rough black flames on either side. There's some scraggly grass where is paws are, and a lumpy rock in the foreground.

This is based on fanart by [personal profile] bingeling of an in-universe painting in Knight Flower, a super fun historical Kdrama. Our protagonist, a chaste Joseon widow by day and vigilante for justice by night, needs to steal a fancy Tiger and Magpie painting from a nobleman for plot reasons. And because of personal reasons, she leaves her own painting in its stead. As you can see, it's a masterpiece! I had a lot of fun making my embroidery as chaotic as Jo Yeo Hwa's painting.


20261011_121323

This was a much more meditative exercise. The pattern is by Vika, and I used two strands of DMC floss to do the silk stitching. The negative space letters were such a pain! It would probably have been easier if they had been discrete letters, and not flown into each other, handwriting style. But it didn't take too long, and the result is... fine. It looks good from across the room.


20261021_141643

This I did freehand, to keep the momentum going! I drew the maple leaf in white pen on the black, and tracked the outline and veins in quick back stitch, before picking a few colors and basically making it up as I went along. (I did take inspiration from a DMC pattern in my collection that uses stem stitch for the veins, and long and short stitch for the rest, but it's not a direct copy or anything.) It was a nice little project that I could bring to work and sit with during webinars and such (I have a colleague who knits, so everyone is used to that sort of thing, and know that busy hands don't mean you're not listening).

I still find different stitches and patterns quite intimidating. I bought a pair of sweatpants second hand, and they came with the logo of a Danish school, which I'm planning on covering up... But I wasn't able to find a pattern of the right shape, so I've scrawled a heart on it? I'll fill it with chain stitch, because I've learned that works really well with that kind of stretch cotton fabric, but I have no idea what it'll end up looking like!

(My biggest woe with embroidery is that I am SO bad at drawing, I can't actually design much in the way of patterns myself. Like. That leaf was really stretching my abilities.)

...and I just realized that this might be the first time I post about embroidering here?? I don't have a tag for it, I don't think? HM. Well. One of my made-in-hospital pieces (this one from 2024) is in my icon! Maybe I should share some more pictures of what I've been up to?
umadoshi: (autumn leaves 3 (oraclegreen))

[personal profile] umadoshi 2026-10-26 05:21 pm (UTC)(link)
But I also accidentally started associating embroidering (or preparing something to embroider) with bad things happening.

It's so understandable that this is a thing, but it also feels like it Should Not be a thing. (I remember wildpear was going through some bad health stuff around when I was still fairly early in my Guardian love, and I was a little scared to show it to her for fear of that kind of bad association. ^^;)

Hooray for getting yourself back to the embroidery! The colors in the leaf are absolutely wonderful, and the tiger is a joy. *g* Yay for art-of-fanart!